Jump to Navigation

Can I Get a Green Card Without Having to Leave the United States if I Came as a Tourist, Overstayed My Tourist Visa, Worked without Authorization, and then Met, Fell in Love with and Married a United States Citizen While I Was in this Country Illegally?

Q: Can I get a green card without having to leave the United States if I came as a tourist, overstayed my tourist visa, worked without authorization, and then met, fell in love with and married a United States citizen while I was in this country illegally?

A: In this case, your legal entry into the United States would excuse your unlawful presence and unauthorized employment in this country if your U.S. citizen spouse petitions for you to become a lawful permanent resident. You would then be able to Adjust Your Status to that of lawful permanent resident based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen without the need to file a waiver, granted that there are no other issues present in your situation.

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.

Free Consultation

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Office Locations

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
9637 Bustleton Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Phone: 215-673-7733
Fax: 215-673-7933
Philadelphia Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
1142 Brunswick Avenue
Trenton, NJ 08638

Phone: 609-257-4976
Fax: 609-656-1411
Trenton Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
538 Street Road, Suite 200
Southampton, PA 18966

Phone: 215-297-6333
Southampton Law Office Map