Jump to Navigation

Can a person get asylum because they are homosexual (gay)?

Q: Can a Person Get Asylum Because They Are Homosexual (Gay)?

A: It is possible for a person to obtain Asylum based upon their sexual orientation if the asylum applicant is able to credibly establish both that he or she is homosexual, and that gay people are persecuted in the country from which he or she seeks protection. An asylum applicant is required to file his or her Form I-589, Application for Asylum, within one year after arriving in the United States, unless the applicant is able to qualify for a regulatory exception relating to changed or extraordinary circumstances.  An Application for Asylum can get complex, and as such should be handled with the assistance of an experienced Immigration Attorney.

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.

Free Consultation

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Office Locations

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
9637 Bustleton Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Phone: 215-437-3058
Fax: 215-673-7933
Philadelphia Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
1142 Brunswick Avenue
Trenton, NJ 08638

Phone: 609-257-4976
Fax: 609-656-1411
Trenton Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
538 Street Road, Suite 200
Southampton, PA 18966

Phone: 215-297-6333
Southampton Law Office Map