Jump to Navigation

Visa Extensions

Lawyer for Visa Extensions in Philadelphia

If you are present in the United States with nonimmigrant status, it may be possible to extend your stay in this country. Individuals have nonimmigrant status, for example, when they are present in the United States as visitors for business or for pleasure (tourists). A Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer can help you to apply to have your stay in the United States extended.

In order to have your nonimmigrant status extended, it is first necessary to file an application for a visa extension with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is critical that this is done correctly in order to achieve a successful outcome, and to avoid potentially adverse immigration consequences, and a Philadelphia immigration attorney can help in this process.

USCIS urges that nonimmigrants seeking to extend their stay in this country should file an application for an extension in a timely manner, preferably 45 days before they are supposed to depart the United States.

The following requirements have to be met in order for you to become eligible for a visa extension:

  • You were admitted into the U.S. with a lawful nonimmigrant visa
  • Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
  • You did not engage in any Criminal Misconduct that would disqualify you for an extension
  • Your application for extension must normally be submitted before your the time that you are supposed to depart the United States
  • Your passport is valid and has been valid for the entire time that you have been present in the U.S.

USCIS generally requires that applications for extension of nonimmigrant status be filed before the time that a nonimmigrant is supposed to depart the United States. However, an application filed after the required departure date could still be accepted if you are able to establish that:

  • The delay was the result of extraordinary circumstances outside of your control,
  • The length of delay was reasonable,
  • You have not otherwise violated your non-immigrant status,
  • You remain a nonimmigrant (i.e., not an applicant for permanent residence), and
  • You are not the subject of removal proceedings.

Are you ready to learn more about extending your stay in the United States? Contact The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. Online or call for a free initial consultation at (215) 437-3058 (Philadelphia immigration lawyer) and (609) 257-4976 (Trenton immigration lawyer) today.

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.

Free Consultation

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Office Locations

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
9637 Bustleton Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Phone: 215-437-3058
Fax: 215-673-7933
Philadelphia Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
1142 Brunswick Avenue
Trenton, NJ 08638

Phone: 609-257-4976
Fax: 609-656-1411
Trenton Law Office Map

The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.
538 Street Road, Suite 200
Southampton, PA 18966

Phone: 215-297-6333
Southampton Law Office Map