Pedestrians are vulnerable, plain and simple. Sharing the roadways with cars, bicycles, trucks, and motorcycles can be dangerous when the only protection you have is the clothing on your back, and when pedestrians are involved in accidents, they can suffer major injuries or even fatal injuries as a result. If you were hurt in an accident while walking and want to talk about building a legal case with a pedestrian accident attorney in Allentown, the personal injury litigation experts at the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. are available for a free consultation.
After the accident happens
What should you do after being involved in a pedestrian accident? You need to:
- Get medical care right away, even if you think your injuries are minor. A medical health professional is qualified to evaluate your condition and treat injuries.
- Once your medical condition is declared stable, take steps to document the accident and your injuries. Photograph injuries, make copies of medical bills related to injury treatment, and create a timeline of the chain of events immediately prior to and just after the accident.
- Call a local attorney who specializes in pedestrian accident injury litigation to talk about taking legal action.
Sadly, pedestrians cannot count on motorists to be careful and attentive, so it is important that they take the reins of promoting safe walking into their own hands. Although not all pedestrian accidents can be prevented, using these tips you can help make your walks that much safer:
- Wear bright or reflective clothes when walking after dark or in poor visibility conditions
- Consider using a headlamp or carrying a flashlight when walking at night
- Cross at crosswalks wherever possible and avoid jaywalking
- Use pedestrian easements such as sidewalks rather than walking in roadways whenever possible
- Avoid playing loud music in earbuds while walking so you can be more alert to the sounds of cars around you
Pedestrian accident facts
According to data released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 5,300 pedestrians were killed in road accidents during 2015, and as many as 70,000 people are estimated to have been injured in pedestrian accidents that same year. The third-leading cause of pedestrian injury is motor vehicle accidents, but pedestrians are hurt most often by trip accidents, including accidents involving tripping on cracked or uneven sidewalks.
We can assist injured pedestrians
If you need a pedestrian accident attorney in Allentown, the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. can help you file a claim in civil court. We specialize in handling personal injury cases, and we are passionate about helping injured pedestrians get justice when they were hurt through another person’s negligence. We can assist you with seeking the recovery of damages in court in an effort to get you the cash compensation you deserve as an accident victim, and we will work hard to get you every last dime you are entitled to under the law. Contact us today for a free case assessment.