Philadelphia Lawyer Free Consultation Call 215-543-7220
The Lawyers at The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., in Philadelphia handle Car Accident & DUI & Criminal and Traffic Tickets in Pa & NJ
215-543-7220 9637 Bustleton Avenue Philadelphia , PA 19115
609-257-4976 1142 Brunswick Avenue Trenton , NJ 08638
215-297-6333 Southampton , PA
Can a person get asylum because they are homosexual (gay)?
New Jersey

A: It is possible for a person to obtain Asylum based upon their sexual orientation if the asylum applicant is able to credibly establish both that he or she is homosexual, and that gay people are persecuted in the country from which he or she seeks protection. An asylum applicant is required to file his or her Form I-589, Application for Asylum, within one year after arriving in the United States, unless the applicant is able to qualify for a regulatory exception relating to changed or extraordinary circumstances.  An Application for Asylum can get complex, and as such should be handled with the assistance of an experienced Immigration Attorney.

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.