In Cherry Hill and across New Jersey, there is a real problem with pedestrian accidents. Buses and cars are striking pedestrians at an alarming rate and it does not seem to be getting better. In 2016 there were 166 pedestrian fatalities in New Jersey and this does not even touch on the number of pedestrians who were struck and seriously injured by motor vehicles. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our Cherry Hill pedestrian accident attorneys to discuss accident liability and injuries in your particular case.
Pedestrian accident causes and factors
Pedestrian accident causes and contributory factors that we see over and over again include the following:
- Failure to obey traffic signals – A “walk” signal indicates that pedestrians have the right of way. It is truly surprising that so many drivers either do not know this or simply fail to observe traffic signals.
- Distractions or inattention – Smartphone use by drivers and pedestrians is a common factor in pedestrian accidents and inattention by either party is just as dangerous.
- Time of day – A large number of pedestrian accidents happen when it is dark outside. Drivers still have a duty of care to pedestrians, but sometimes they simply fail to notice pedestrians that are not as visible in the dark.
- Alcohol – Drinking and driving of course is a bad decision that leads to accidents, but drinking and walking is surprisingly often a factor related to pedestrian accidents as well. Drinking alcohol leads to inattention and poor decisions making.
- Dangerous roads and intersections – Some roads and intersections are more dangerous due to things like lack of a sidewalk or lack of traffic signals and signs.
- Speed – Speed is a factor in many car accidents and is especially common in pedestrian accidents. A speeding motor vehicle often does not have sufficient time to notice potential danger and react appropriately.
- Struck by a bus – Pedestrian/bus accidents occur more often than you may think. Bus accidents frequently occur when a driver pulls away from the bus stop before an exiting passenger has had adequate time to get out of the bus’s path or when a driver fails to notice a passenger attempting to get on the bus who is then struck by the bus as it pulls away.
Pedestrian accident injuries
Pedestrian accident injuries can be serious to catastrophic including broken and shattered bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, loss of limbs, and otherwise disabling injuries. These injuries can result in immense pain and suffering, massive medical bills and future medical bills, necessary rehabilitation and accommodations, loss of income, and reduced earning capacity because of an inability or limited ability to work. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident due to a driver’s negligent or reckless conduct, contact a Cherry Hill pedestrian accident attorney with The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. You deserve a full recovery for the damages and injuries you have suffered and our attorneys will work to see that you get there.