According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, close to half of all traumatic brain injuries are caused by falls and approximately one third of injury deaths are related to traumatic brain injuries. What these facts should tell you is that falls can cause very serious injuries, including death. We sometimes hear from clients who are concerned that slip or trip and fall cases are looked upon as frivolous and they do not want to be seen as trying to make a quick buck. We understand those concerns, but our Cherry Hill slip and fall attorneys have worked with enough clients who have suffered serious and life changing fall injuries to know that the majority of these claims are legitimate. If you have suffered injuries due to a fall that was caused by someone’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated.
Common fall scenarios
See below for some of the most frequently reported slip, trip, and fall scenarios:
- Falls due to dangerous conditions. We often see parking lot and sidewalk falls on ice due to a business or homeowner’s failure to clear required areas of their property.
- Falls caused by cracks, potholes, and uneven pavement.
- Falls in the workplace due to unsafe conditions such as slippery floors and obstructed walkways. In construction site falls, unsafe conditions may include a failure to provide proper safety equipment or other measures to protect employees from falls.
- Slippery floors in places of business due to spilled liquids, tracked in snow and rain, and recently mopped floors with inadequate warnings to patrons.
- Poorly maintained floors causing dangerous conditions such as broken tiles or splintered wood.
- Dangerous conditions on stairs such as obstructions, broken stairs, broken handrail, or no handrail.
- Poor lighting that prevents someone from being able to see the path in front of them.
In slip and fall cases, a number of factors will be considered in determining liability, such as:
- Was the property owner aware of the dangerous condition?
- Did the property owner warn you about the dangerous condition such as a posted sign or verbal warning?
- Were you invited to the property or should the owner have reasonably expected that you would be there?
- Was it an open and obvious dangerous condition that you should have been able to avoid?
- Did the property owner have time to discover the dangerous condition?
Insurance companies are frequently involved in slip and fall cases. You do not have to speak with an insurance company that calls to interview you about the accident and our Cherry Hill slip and fall attorneys recommend that you do not. When injured parties who are not represented by an attorney speak with insurance companies, they are often tricked into saying something that hurts their case. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip or trip and fall case due to someone else’s negligence, contact our premises liability team at The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. We are experienced insurance company negotiators and we will help you get the compensation that you deserve.