How many trains do you encounter on a regular basis, whether a traditional passenger/cargo train to SEPTA rails? Trains may be the last thing on your mind each day, but we want you to know that crashes do happen, and you may need a train accident attorney.
At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we are here to help if you or a loved one have been injured in a train or rail incident. We will work diligently to investigate your claims so we can secure the compensation you deserve.
The Risk Is Real
We know that many people do not think of trains as being risky, but when these incidents do happen, they can cause serious injuries. In and around Levittown, we have plenty of trains carrying both cargo and passengers (sometimes both at the same time). Nearby in Philly, we know that SEPTA rails get thousands of people to and from their destinations each day.
Here is what we do know:
- There are around 226 freight train incidents each year in Pennsylvania
- During the latest reporting year in the United States, there were around 12,000 total train incidents causing almost 9,000 injuries and 800 fatalities.
Trains are large and weigh tens of thousands of pounds. When something goes wrong, whether there is a problem with the train cars or with the tracks, the injuries are often severe. It is not uncommon for us to see the following injuries as a result of a train crash:
- Spinal cord injuries (with possible paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
Treatment for these injuries can reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that does not count a person’s lost income if they are unable to work while they recover.
It is vital that all trains get regular inspections and maintenance by the company or agencies that operate them. This includes the train cars, engines, wheels, connectors, and more. Train tracks must also be regularly inspected for irregularities that could cause a derailment.
Those who operate trains and light rails should never be impaired by drugs or alcohol or operate while distracted by their phones or other devices.
*Please note that trains carrying hazardous materials pose a great risk to the public in the event of a derailment.
What We Can Do Now
If you or someone you love has been injured in a train or rail incident, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. These crashes are usually caused due to the negligence of another person, company, or agency and you deserve to be compensated. At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we will work tirelessly to secure compensation for:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible